Friday, February 27, 2009

March 2009


A Letter from the Pastor

Friends,

Because Lent is a season of penitence and a time reflect upon our morality and our need for God’s grace, I believe Lent must necessarily be a time for spiritual discovery. As we confess our shortcomings and our sin; as we work out new ways to “live as dust that will return to dust,” we will learn. We will grow.


This Lent I have discovered a prayer that I hope will be used by the Holy Spirit to guide be to Easter, and I’m offering it you as well. The prayer comes from Kenya, and is published in a variety of sources, including Desmond Tutu’s collection of prayers called, An African Prayer Book (New York: Doubleday, 1995). Here is the prayer that is my prayer for me, for you and for us this Lent:

From the cowardice that dare not face new truths,
From the laziness that is contented with half truths,
From the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
Good Lord deliver me.

Amen.

May you be blessed and may you grow in God’s truth this Lent.

Peace,

Ben

____________________________________________________________________
~The Life of a Seminary student {on internship}
-Maxine Millender

Lord, I ask you to direct me in what I do, in the way I do it, and in the motives of my heart. Make it right with you.-Marilyn Driscoll

Last month (12/2008), I shared more about my daily walk as a Chaplain at Harris Methodist Hospital’s trauma center. As I continue to walk along these corridors and visit patients, there are so many things happening. During this second unit which is our winter unit, we have education on Tuesday from 9 to 12 and 1 to 2:30. Wednesday is usually from 10 to 12 and what’s called an IDS which stands for Inter Departmental Status. This means different groups come in to explain what is done in their department. Thursday is from 9-12 and our most difficult day.

I presented an IDS on Suicide prevention and Suicide survivors. I had three people who are all survivors come in to share their stories. I became interested in Suicide because I have had more patients who have attempted it and this has become of interest to me, especially with younger people.

Let me explain why Thursday is so difficult for us. From 10:30 to 12 it is IPR time. IPR is Inter Personal Relations and no one likes this time because it’s the time that you bring a problem, issue, or ask for help from your peer. Most times no one says a word. This past week (1/22) I brought an issue to the table about one of the women who had mis-interpreted what I had said to her. We got into a heated argument, had to stop for our CPE supervisor to help us process and he said that we would most likely start to develop a healthy relationship after this. What happened is that I said something to her; she heard what she wanted to hear but did not listen to me. She said something to me and I heard what I wanted to but did not listen to her. We were both saying wrong and hurtful things and also saying some things right but at the time of our conversation, neither one of us could process it correctly due to our anger. When the supervisor put a parallel process on the board, we could both see where we were wrong by not listening to each other. CPE is such a wonderful program as difficult as it is sometimes. I have grown so much and feel great, especially when I walk into the patient’s room.

The other day (1/22) a woman (60) was found in the woods in a sleeping bag, airlifted to our hospital, and I was called because this was a crisis and full arrest. Most times full arrests die but she was still hanging on and transferred from ER to out trauma ICU floor. She is a Harvard educated Doctor, has been out of work for 6 months and had been seeing a psychologist and psychotherapist. When they called me, they were insistent on trying to get information from me but I had to continually tell them I could not give out medical information as a Chaplain but would put her in touch with a Doctor or RN, which I did.

On one of my other floors, I have a young lady (26) who has been depressed for several months, has two children, her husband left her, and she is not working. She has had thoughts of trying to kill herself and eventually tried. Each time I have gone to her room, she is asleep which means the Doctors/RN’s have sedated her. On my last visit, she had seen a psych nurse who had completed her evaluation on her but she was asleep when I arrived.

One night on my extended shift (1/14), a man who was 55 yrs old died and I was called to his room to help the family. When I arrived, there were about 50 adults (men, women) and children in and around the room. I went into the room to meet the wife and let her know I was there and would give them privacy. Before I could turn to go out, one little boy ran out of the room crying and sobbing. I followed him to the waiting room; he was already on the couch with his body turned towards the wall. I lowered myself to his level and asked him if I could touch his shoulder and he said yes. I comforted him, and asked if he would be ok with me hugging him and he said yes. I hugged him and let him know that I would be there and not leave him without letting him know. Since his forehead was warm, I let him know I would get a cloth with cold water for his forehead. When I returned, his Mother came out and I told her I would stay with him and take care of him and the other little children. They seemed happy about this. I left again to get water for the adults and any of the children who were thirsty. I helped a young man (25) who was crying so much he started to throw up.

This patient was obese, had sleep apnea, lung problems, terrible wounds all over his body and he was well liked by all the staff. I asked the family to wait in the family room so that the RN could clean his body and I would come get them when she finished. The RN tenderly washed his body, shaved him and put on a new gown. I went to get the family and one of the ladies asked me if I was an angel sent from God. I looked at her and said that I am an agent of God's to be with them, comfort, and help them through as much of this grieving process as I could. She said, "We really do thank you for all you are doing to help us." These are always comforting words to hear. I spoke to the wife about prayer and she said yes. I prayed and when I finished, there were tears in their eyes, even the children. She told me it was a lovely prayer.

I will continue to share my daily walk but also share some protocol that we follow for our visits. As Chaplains we have to be very careful how we handle information. We are given information, we see and hear things, and when we visit family, especially in the emergency room, we have to realize that family will hang onto our every word.

~to be continued~
____________________________________________________________________
FOOTHILL CHRISTIAN PRESCHOOL
IS HAVING FUN IN MARCH








*Academics*

· The kids are learning about the

letters “M” “N” & numbers 13 & 14.

*Themes & Activities*




*Me, Myself & I*

3/2-3/6



· 3/2 Art: I’m on television
Poem: “Special me”

· 3/3 Letter *M* day

· 3/4 Number 13 day

· 3/5 Bring your favorite book

· 3/6 Movie & share day


*Body Awareness*

3/9-3/13

· 3/9 Art: Body parts collage

Poem: Here are my ears

· 3/10 Letter *M* day

· 3/11 Number 13 day

· 3/12 Wear a hat for your ‘head’

or a scarf for your ‘neck’

· 3/13 Movie & share day




*St. Patrick*

3/16-3/20

· 3/16 Art: Blarney stones

Poem: “I’m a Leprechaun”

· 3/17 Letter *N* day/wear green

· 3/18 Number 14 day

· 3/19 Bring something green

· 3/20 Movie & share day



*Family*
3/23-3/27

· 3/23 Art: Family Mobile
Poem: Some Families

· 3/24 Letter *N* day

· 3/25 Number 14 day

· 3/26 Bring a picture of your family

· 3/27 Movie & share day

*Multicultural*

3/30-3/31

· 3/30 Art Chinese Fan

Poem: We Are Different

· 3/31 Letter review day: *M* & *N*





*Special Activities*

Outdoor Workday
Saturday, March 28



*Spiritual Poetry*

Hugs From Heaven

When you feel a gentle breeze
Caress you when you sigh
It's a hug sent from Heaven
From a loved one way up high

If a soft and tender raindrop
Lands upon your nose
They've added a small kiss
As fragile as a rose

If a song you hear fills you
With a feeling of sweet love
It's a hug sent from Heaven
From someone special up above

If you awaken in the morning
To a bluebird's chirping song
It's music sent from Heaven
To cheer you all day long

If tiny little snowflakes
Land upon your face
It's a hug sent from Heaven
Trimmed with Angel lace

So keep the joy in your heart
If you're lonely my dear friend
Hugs that are sent from Heaven
A broken heart will mend

____________________________________________________________________



The Semibreve
-Jay Jordana, Director of Music Ministries


MANY THANKS!
Monteverdi Brass Quintet - to Nancy Leonard, Peg Nickl, Stevie White for concert production, and to Kraig Williams for all the work you do in bringing fine early music acts to our Music Series.

Nothingset Ensemble – to Joyce Banks, Nancy Leonard, Dana and Benjamin Marino, Peg Nickl, and Bud and Shirley Schmidt for concert production.

Without the help of folks, our Music Series would not survive. Thanks so much for continuing the vision of providing a wide variety of high caliber music to East San Jose. We are the only ones in East San Jose Foothills that is doing that on a regular basis.


I TAKE IT BACK!
Okay, so we now have a jazz combo, opera singers, a folk band, a guest bell choir, our FPC musicians BUT no funk band!

We can’t have a benefit concert without the funk band!

So, our benefit concert will have to be moved to another date. Instead of March 8th, it will be held after Easter, which falls on April 12th this year. The concert will be after that. Besides, we could still use a bit of planning time. So, stay tuned for more!


American Recorder Orchestra of the West (AROW)
Saturday, April 18, 2009, 3:00PM


Founded and directed by Richard Geisler since 2000, this Northern California ensemble is known to feature compositions not traditionally played on recorders. Playing on sopranino to contrabass recorders, AROW has performed German, French, English, Medieval, and Eastern European programs, which have included both the formal and folk sides of national musical traditions. www.arowmusic.org www.sfems.org


CONCERT SCHEDULE Spring 2009
National Association Composers USA (San Francisco)
-Sunday, April 26, 3PM

Flauti Dolci & Amici II
–Sunday, May 9, 3PM

Chris and Jack Bradshaw (Ragtime Piano Duet)
– Sunday, May 17, 3 PM

Mid-Peninsula Recorder Society
– Sunday, June 7, 3 PM

If you are interested in helping out with any of the concerts, please let me know. We would love your support. Let’s keep our Music Series Healthy and Alive!

Feedback From the Community
The following reviews are taken from ARRNE

Hello Alum Rockers, There were a few familiar faces at the Concert last night and now I am thinking, "If you all knew what was in store for you, the place would have been packed!"

The subject line of the announcements sent out to ARNNE a few days earlier, Concert Announcement, perhaps was not challenging enough or was too scary. But let me tell you, my friendly neighbors in Alum Rock, you missed a good one! The beautiful sounds of melody and harmony filled the church chapel and filled our hearts with the love of music. Granted, there was no amplifier. No bank of speakers to back up the musicians. No pounding drums. No flashing strobes. Just five skilled brass players, two trumpets and three trombones, consummate professionals. This was not a concert for the younger generation; it was for adults who love the sound of real music.

Thank you, Jay Jordana, JayJordana@gmail.com, for posting this announcement on the Network. This was the first time June and I have attended the music series at Foothill. We will be back. Please keep up the good work and keep us informed.

Thank You,
Frank Crane
PS: While I was waiting to hit "Send" for this message, I received a new announcement on ARNNE for the concert on 2/22, Sunday, at 3:00 PM. You should make plans if at all possible! FKC
-------------------------
Well, I will echo Frank Craney that the community is really missing out on a terrific event right here in our neighborhood.

The music on Sunday was excellent. There was Bach, there was Hindesmith, there was Piazzolla. Singing and playing a wide assortment of pieces -rousing folk songs, a Bach duet with violin and saxophone(!), Hungarian dances, soaring voices - amazing.

The young (highly trained at the SF Conservatory of Music and other nationally renown schools) musicians were amazingly talented on a wide range of instruments. The last piece (a tango) was played with flute, clarinet, melodica (Google it), marimba and drums, electric guitar, violin, viola and two double basses - a whole orchestra.

The church has great acoustics and the crowd was way too small for the caliber of the musicians. The players and singers were very gracious and appreciative to those of us who came. We chatted after the concert which you usually don't get to do with professional musicians. One couple came from Connecticut to perform.

Jay Jordana is committed to bringing high quality music events to the East Side and we can support her efforts by attending. It was a wonderful two hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Jay just announced her next concert and we will be there.

Cheers,
Bracey ________________________________________________________________
Notes from the Congregational Meeting of February 8, 2009
-Darlene Ristrim Clerk of Session

  • Karen Withrow, Moderator of the 2008 Nominating Committee, gave her final report.
  • Sue Andersen and Nancy Rubio were elected to the office of Elder.
  • Four members at large were elected to serve on the 2009 Nominating Committee. They are: Sue LeValley, Eileen Parks, Ray Mignogna, and Herb Miller. Two Elders and one Deacon will be appointed to serve on this committee. An Elder will be moderator.
  • An amendment to Rev. Daniel’s term of call was approved. At a cost of approximately $167 per year his Life Insurance will increase from a $50,000 death benefit to $300,000.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S.H.A.R.E.S. Program at SaveMart and Lucky's
Rewards Foothill Church


Late in 2008, S.H.A.R.E.S. cards were distributed to members to be used when making purchases at Lucky and SaveMart stores. These stores have pledged to support the communities in which they do business and do so by returning a percentage of their profits to us as a thank you for patronizing them. For our patronage at Lucky's and SaveMart during the fourth quarter, Foothill received a check for $100.92 -- and our cards weren't even used during the whole quarter!

Please continue to use your cards when making purchases at these stores!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Spring Clean Up
Saturday, March 28
8AM-Noon

Gather up your favorite home improvement tools, roll up your sleeves and meet us bright and early for a day of Fun, Fellowship, and (a little) Hard Work!

Look for a sign up sheet in the narthex with a list of projects, OR…donate $40 to cover the cost of a day worker.

_______________________________________________________

Lectionary Readings Available in the
Presbyterian Planning Calendar


Sunday, March 1, 1st Sunday in Lent
Genesis 9:8-17; Psalm 25:1-10; 1 Peter 3:18-22; Mark 1:9-15

Sunday, March 8, 2nd Sunday in Lent
Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16; Psalm 22:23-31; Romans 4:13-25; Mark 8:31-38

Sunday, March 15, 3rd Sunday in Lent
Exodus 20:1-17; Psalm 19; 1 Corinthians 1:18-25; John 2:13-22

Sunday, March 22, 4th Sunday in Lent
Numbers 21:4-9; Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22; Ephesians 2:1-10; John 3:14-21

Sunday, March 29, 5th Sunday in Lent
Jeremiah 31:31-34; Psalm 51:1-12 or Psalm 119:9-16; Hebrews 5:5-10; John 12:20-33

Parish Concerns


Loss in Our Church Family
Our church family is saddened by the loss of long-time member John Roberts on February 10. Our prayers and sympathy goes out to John's family.


Special Prayers
Roxie Banks, Linda Shadoe, Dee Daniel, Helen Klotz, Bobbie Stites,
Shirley Schmidt, Mary Mints, Karen Withrow, Natalie Gatzke,
Jack Stutz, Kitty Rugebregt, Glenda Parmentier,
Joanne Reinecker, Charlie Klotz



____________________________________________________________________


March 28th
9:00AM
Room 9


No comments: